Conversations Magazine, July/August 2026

Conversations Magazine, July/August 2026

Monday, July 27, 2026

Finding Your Way Through the Literary World

by Dr. Velma Bagby 

You want to write a book, but your journey isn’t simply about writing, because your creativity is the easy part. The most difficult and forever-changing charge you’ll face is understanding the various pieces of the writing process. Those pieces can change depending on what you decide to address in your writing.

In the beginning, of course, there are the normal details you should consider. For example, why? Why are you writing about the topic? Is this topic something you are compassionate about? Or, are you an expert on the ​​matter? The other question to consider is, who is your audience, and have you begun to connect with them? Your audience is the people you are called to address, help, support, tell, coach, ​​entertain, or serve. The audience wants to know what you have to say and is waiting for your book.

Besides your why and who or your audience, another essential part of our work will be the relationships necessary to support you in the literary world. Yes, this includes your audience, but most importantly, it includes like-minded people who will become your tribe of supporters.This is not your family or friends, and placing this burden on them isn't fair. These are creative experts and experienced authors who are ready to support you on your journey.

Even though you are a phenomenal creative, this journey into the literary world won’t work if you solely focus on the writing. Remember the importance of relationships that will be built along the way. This relationship does not reference social media’s definition of “friends,” because having 1.2 million friends/followers does not meet my definition of a relationship. A relationship requires us to have a connection or bond with the person. 

I’m fortunate to have found such folks on my journey, and I trust who they are and what they do in their profession. If any member of this tribe refers someone to me, I receive that person without question, because those who have formed a bond with me know who I am and what I expect.

Occasionally, my tribe will refer me to associates they work with as well, and again, I trust the referral. Because I prioritize my relationships during my writing journey, my circle of relationships has grown as well. I have connected with other professional experts; many have become my close friends. I continue to support them professionally for a variety of my writing needs, and all of us have become trusted friends and supporters of each other. This exclusive group ​​has been vetted; therefore, this space is considered expensive real estate. You cannot walk into my life today and expect there to be an automatic connection. Building this team of supporters takes time and effort on your part.

I hope to inspire you and help you see the importance of creating relationships, especially with your inner circle. Here is one of my success stories, which resulted from a referral by a member of my tribe of supporters. In November 2021, I shared my plan to move in a new direction with my latest project entitled “The CATCH No One Wants” and told her I was interested in promoting this new Christian fiction book differently from my past books. After asking her to recommend a publicist, she mentioned one she valued. She sent an email to the Publicist and me so we could connect. I followed up with an email to him on November 11, 2021. That Publicist and I have been working together ever since. The novel I discussed with him is now a series. When we connected, I had two books published. Thanks to his guidance, today I have two successful podcasts based on my writing and over 20 books published.

Creating a relationship and now a friendship with my Publicist is one of the best decisions I’ve made in my writing journey. Joining his team has provided me with access to even more expertise through the team members. As a result, establishing this relationship with Cyrus Webb over few years ago helped me to grow and thrive.

You can do the same. Start building those relationships now.


Dr. Velma Bagby is a bestselling author/speaker/media personality and Marriage Coach. Stay connected with her at www.drvelmabagby.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment