Sunday, April 20, 2014

Conversations Feature: Grammy Award-winner Dionne Warwick

by Cyrus Webb

She is the Grammy-winning legend that has impacted the world through music for over half a century. Ms Dionne Warwick is a legend not just because of her voice but because of the life she has lived and continue to live. She is a perfect example of someone understanding the importance of the moment and living NOW. In fact, to celebrate her 50th anniversary in making memorable music she released a celebratory album called NOW (which was nominated for a Grammy this year) that is not only pleasing her loyal fans but making new ones as well.

I have had the privilege of interviewing Ms. Warwick three times on Conversations LIVE, and each time she was nothing but gracious and appreciative. During the first conversation I was joined by Susan Violante from Venezuela , an author who told Ms. Warwick that her music helped her to learn English! What an amazing opportunity: to be able to impact someone's life in such a dramatic way.

As I spoke with Ms. Warwick for this interview she shared some with me what this 50 journey has been like for her. ""It's been a wonderful ride," she says. "I'm thankful to my supporters for 50 years. I basically thought that if I stayed true to who I am and sung the kind of songs that my audience expected of me then longevity was a given."

I asked her if she believed that what people responded to with her was the soul and the love that she puts into her music. "I think it's definitely that," she replied. "The music that I've been able to sing has grown. That is the beauty of music. It has the ability to live on and on."

Though she was confident in her gift and believed it could take her anywhere, even Ms. Warwick says she never believed she would be in the business this long. "I felt that my first 10 years would be it and I would go on to teaching," she told me. "But that 10 years turned into 10 more and on and on. Now here we are."

Because she is still here, she does understand the influence that music has in our lives. "Music generally has an amazing impact on people," she says. "I could never imagine a world without music. Artists are known as the messengers. I hope the messages that I have been sending have been effective and will continue to be."

Talking about the younger generations that are discovering her music, Ms. Warwick's says this: "I certainly hope they discover some really wonderful songs that were written before they were born. I want them to enjoy the messages I have been able to bring. " Thanks to the internet, that is exactly what is happening already, and this thrills her. "It's wonderful to hear all of the comments," she says. "I am humbled by so many young people listening to my music and enjoying it. I am glad they could jump on that train and take the ride with me."

Music is not the only way people of all generations are learning about Ms. Warwick. She is still active in her charitable work and her other businesses which include writing and even a fragrance. "As a youngster my grandfather told me that we are all on this earth to be of service to each other," she told me when I asked about the work she is doing to help others. "If my talent is the way I can do that then it's very easy to do." She then added: "I think that it's a part of what we are here to do. The messages that we send are vitally important."

Though we are only months into 2014 Ms. Warwick has already enjoyed many memorable moments. First was the Grammy nomination. Then there was the collaboration with Billy Ray Cyrus on the single "Hope Is Just Ahead. Add tour dates, media appearances  and a new album to her schedule and you can see she continues to set an example as to what is possible for all of us.

To stay in contact with her and her upcoming events and to get her album NOW visit www.dionnewarwick.info.

*     Photos provided by Double Xxposure Public Relations

No comments:

Post a Comment