Sunday, April 20, 2014

Conversations Magazine Feature: Martha Stewart

by Cyrus Webb

This might come as a surprise to some, but of all the women on the list this year Martha Stewart is someone I have to give the most credit to.

Many might now realize this but it was her book THE MARTHA RULES which she released in 2005 that was the basis for what is now Conversations Media Group. I had begun hosting the radio show Conversations LIVE and the television show Conversations with C. A. Webb 2 years earlier, and knew that there had to be a way to diversify the messages and guests I was sharing on the air. Because of Martha's book and example I brainstormed on what could be the next step. The next year (2006) I launched both Conversations Magazine and Conversations Book Club, creating a network where I could share my desire to feed your love of life.

I am not the only one who has benefited from the sheer genius and tenacity of Martha Stewart. Through her brand she has been a trendsetter that others have modeled themselves after over the years. She was the one who in 1990 took the risk of deciding to launch a magazine with her face on every issue. Because of the success of that risk, others have followed suit. She is the one who also took her love of catering and turned it into a billion dollar empire that has spawned television  and radio shows and specials, deals with K-Mart, Macys and Wal-Mart and a user-friendly website that brings it all together.

Though she has not appeared on Conversations LIVE (yet, at least), I had the chance to thank her on her own radio program in 2009. I was a part of her "Ask Martha" segment, and before asking her about ideas for my reading parties that I was launching across the country I told her how she has inspired me and the work that I do.

Say what you will about Ms. Stewart, she is living proof that you can succeed, thrive and weather any storm if you are willing to hunker down and now give up. People are going to doubt you and even berate you, but what is important is  your dedicated to your gift and the work you are doing. As a teenager Martha's dad told her this: "You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Anything!"

In her book The Martha Rules she shares how those words from her father propels her: "To this day I can still hear those wise words. You can come up with a Big Idea for something that millions of people need and want. You can become a self-made billionaire. You can refuse to cave in to detractors and manipulators despite enormous pressure...You can emerge intact even through the toughest of times. You can do anything!" (p.162) And the same is true for each and every one of us if we believe, have the faith and are willing to do the work.

Stay in touch with all things Martha at www.marthastewart.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment