Saturday, December 12, 2015

Author Brian L. Thompson: Using the Power of Words to Inspire the World

by Cyrus Webb

I first interviewed author Brian L. Thompson back in 2011, and ever since I have been a fan of his work. Over the years he has been a regular guest on Conversations LIVE the radio show, and this year we got a chance to meet during my visit to Atlanta and tape a segment for Cyrus Webb Presents.

One of the great things about Brian is that he recognizes the power of words, and he has been able to write books for adults and younger audiences. sharing his skills and important messages along the way.

He told me this when I asked him about the journey of being both an educator and a storyteller: "It's been an amazing experience, especially when I have former students tell me how certain characters have touched them or moved them in a certain way. Some of the books that I've written I've actually used names that they have suggested or names giving tribute to that person. They really are able to connect with the experience a little bit better I think than if they were just reading about a character with a name that I made up." He then added: "That's a good way to connect with your audience."

Brian has also seen it to be an effective marketing tool as well, because those same students or other readers then feel invested in the book and want to tell others about it. I asked him if he has gotten used to being an author himself with books available for the world to read that others can relate to.
"To a degree I have," he says. "It's always something new, different and exciting when someone comes up and says a character reminds them of someone." He says one of the most thrilling things is when he gets a message from a reader that says something like "I really wanted you to know that this touched me in a certain way." Brian says "It let's me know I'm not off-based with the characters."

In the REJECT HIGH series which is really intended for a younger audience Brian has not shied away from tackling sensitive topics like death. "I think that it's important that when you're writitng you have to be realistic." he says, especially when dealing with moral decisions. "Death is a part of everyday life."

All of Brian's books are available through Amazon.com. You can stay connected with him through his website www.authorbrianthompson.com.

*    Photos by Shadow Play Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment