There’s a moment in motherhood that no one truly prepares you for.
It sneaks up on you during a tantrum, in a slammed door, in an eye roll
that echoes something all too familiar. You pause, your breath catches, and you
whisper silently to yourself:
“She reminds me of me.”
And not just the good parts.
Not just the parts you share on social media, the creativity, the
courage, the sass, and the sparkle. But also, the parts you’ve spent years
trying to leave behind. The anger. The abandonment issues. The fierce
independence that’s truly fear in disguise. The perfectionism. The pain.
Suddenly, motherhood becomes a mirror. And you’re not just raising her,
you’re revisiting you.
Welcome to triggered parenting.
The Mirror You Never Asked For
Most mothers think their child’s behavior triggers them. But often, it’s
not the child, it’s the unhealed you that’s reacting.
When your daughter questions everything, it triggers the little girl in
you who was silenced.
When she breaks down emotionally, it hits the part of you that was told to
“suck it up.”
When she withdraws, it awakens the wound of feeling unloved or unseen.
And in that space, something powerful occurs: You’re given a divine
invitation not merely to parent your daughter, but to reparent yourself.
The Unseen Hand-Me-Downs
We believe we’re passing down clothes, traditions, recipes, and memories.
However, we’re also passing down belief systems, emotional patterns, fears, and
coping mechanisms.
If we don’t take the time to recognize what’s in our emotional closet,
we’ll dress our daughters in garments that were never meant for them:
– The coat of people-pleasing
– The shoes of self-doubt
– The scarf of shame
– The backpack of buried emotions
And when she wears them, we’ll wonder, “Why is she struggling like I
did?”
Because pain, when ignored, becomes an heirloom.
But healing? Healing becomes a heritage.
Pause Before You React
In triggered parenting, your first instinct might be control. But here’s
the truth: what you try to control, you often repeat.
Instead of reacting, get curious:
- “What am I feeling right now, and
where have I felt this before?”
- “Is this really about her
behavior, or is it about my memory?”
- “Am I trying to protect her, or the
younger me who never felt protected?”
These aren’t easy questions, but they’re essential.
They require you to parent from a place of intention, not instinct; of
healing, not history; of presence, not pain.
When Her Voice Sounds Like Yours
There often comes a moment in many mother-daughter relationships when the
daughter speaks up not out of defiance, but with honesty.
“Mom, I don’t feel heard when I’m upset. You go straight into fixing or
correcting.”
It stings. Not because it’s an attack, but because it reflects back at you.
The mother wants to respond with, “I’m just trying to help,” but deep down,
she senses something more profound stirring. The Holy Spirit whispers about
what she has buried for years: You used to feel unheard, too.
Suddenly, the moment goes beyond the daughter’s voice; it is about the
mother's unspoken wounds. It reflects how she once learned to suppress her
feelings to maintain peace, how she turned silence into her survival strategy,
and how, without realizing it, she passed that pattern on.
But this time, she chooses a different path.
She pauses. She breathes. She apologizes not out of guilt, but out of a
desire for growth. And they converse not just as mother and daughter, but as
two women learning to understand each other while healing themselves.
That conversation doesn't resolve everything. But it changes everything.
Not because it was perfect,
But because it was honest.
Because it was real.
Because it opened a door to healing for both of them.
Leading While Healing
One of the most radical things you can do as a mother is to heal openly. Do
not perform perfectly. Do not hide your emotions. But demonstrate the work.
Your daughter doesn’t need a perfect mother. She needs a devoted one.
She needs to see:
- How to pause and pray instead of
punishing for pain.
- How you attend therapy because
you value mental and emotional wellness.
- How to say, “I’m sorry” instead
of “Because I said so.”
- How to journal, cry, talk,
release, and reset without shame.
Healing as a mother is not a contradiction. It’s a calling.
When she sees you choose healing, she understands that she can do the
same.
Daughters Don’t Need Perfection—They
Need Permission
Permission to feel.
Permission to question.
Permission to not have everything figured out.
And that permission starts with you.
You represent her first glimpse of womanhood, her initial definition of
softness and strength, and her foremost teacher of boundaries and beliefs. The
more whole you become, the freer she feels to embrace herself without apology.
That’s how we break cycles.
That’s how we build bridges.
That’s how we strengthen bonds.
It Starts With One Honest Moment
So, what do you do when she reminds you of yourself?
You take a breath. You contemplate. And you decide to choose differently.
You say, “I see you.”
You say, “I used to feel that way too.”
You say, “I want to help you without projecting what hurt me.”
And then you embark on the challenging, yet sacred, work of reconnecting
with your own inner child.
You ask:
- What did I need at her age that I
never received?
- What lies did I believe that I
didn’t want her to carry?
- What emotional tools did I lack
that I want to give her now?
You don’t just tell her to “be strong,” you show her how to be both soft
and strong.
You don’t just tell her to “be respectful,” you demonstrate how to communicate
with compassion.
You don’t just tell her to “be herself,” you create space for all of who she
is, even when it stretches you.
Final Thoughts
When your daughter reflects your struggles, that’s not failure. That’s
feedback.
It’s an opportunity, a window into the areas where God still wants to heal you,
even as you nurture her.
Triggered parenting is not an indication that you’re broken. Instead,
it’s a signal that you’re evolving.
So, when she reminds you of yourself, thank God.
Because it means your legacy is being rewritten in real time.
And this time, it will be built not on silence, but on truth.
Not on pain, but on purpose.
Not on patterns, but on powerful, intentional love.
You’re not just raising a daughter.
You’re raising your own healed reflection.
And that is the most sacred work of all.

No comments:
Post a Comment