I met author Penda L. James a few years ago while in North Carolina, and it has been great watching not only her own literary journey but her support for others as well.
In her book Running Between Dandelions she gives readers characters that are on the road to healing and self-love, something that Penda knows well.
In this conversation we talk about the path she is on and the lessons learned along the way.
Penda, we are so glad to have you with us! What has it been like for you to reflect on all you have achieved?
When I think about my goals and accomplishments for the year, all of them are big, audacious goals that I never could have imagined I’d be able to accomplish.
I had a lot of personal and professional transitions that required me to reflect deeply about things that are important to me and why I do what I do. As I reflect I realize that I am only successful because God has had His hand on me and my life.
I know from following you that you are big on supporting and empowering others. Where does that come from?
My parents taught me and my siblings that we have to look out for others. Through their life, I grew up understanding how to build and sustain a village that helps others thrive. As the oldest child, I have always had to think about other people before myself. As a Christian, I also try to ensure that God gets the glory for all of the things He does through me.
Your newest project is the novel RUNNING BETWEEEN DANDELIONS. What was the inspiration for this book?
2026 is the tenth year of my mother’s passing. I thought about the best way to honor her and the women who shaped her. While reading her journal and reflecting on the questions I never got to ask her, I began to write about motherhood and the story took on a life of its own. I call it Running Between Dandelions because I want to encourage people to have conversations that sustain healing and restoration.
One of the things the book addresses is how we are impacted by our family and environment. Did you know that was going to be a big part of the story?
When I started writing, I did not know that the themes of the story would be about family or family history. When I started writing, the first scene was about how one of the characters was suffering from a headache. As I unpacked the story, I uncovered the gems of healing and restoration, and these became the themes for the book.Your transparency on social media is one of the things I admire about you. What has helped you to share so much of your journey with the world?
In 2022, my father passed away suddenly. At that time, the world was coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic. During COVID, I started a live podcast because I was feeling isolated from loved ones and I needed to fortify my faith. Going live almost every day, I spoke to friends and family, and our conversations led me to be vulnerable and transparent about difficult topics. I learned how to sit in my feelings, ask questions with depth, and own my feelings. The Resilience Project was the door that allowed me to be more comfortable sharing my journey with the world authentically.
What are you looking forward next?
I look forward to sharing more about Running Between Dandelions with readers and other authors. I am also working on a short film and hope to go into production next year.
Congratulations again, Penda. Looking forward to staying in touch. How can our readers stay connected with you?
Thank you for the opportunity. I can be reached at www.pendaljames.com. You can also find me on Instagram at @penscribed, Penda L. James on LinkedIn and Penda L. James on Facebook.
No comments:
Post a Comment