Saturday, December 12, 2015

Author and Filmmaker Yvonne Pierre: Creating A Platform to Help Others RISE

by Cyrus Webb

Most of us have heard the saying that "Hurt people hurt people," but it is also true that individuals who have gone through extraordinary challenges can realize their own worth and value and work on bringing that out in others. This is certainly true of my first interview that I did when I made it to Atlanta, GA this summer with author and filmmaker Yvonne Pierre.

Yvonne has written a book, "The Day My Soul Cried" written, produced and directed the stage play “Then You Stand” and penned the award-winning short film, “Never Alone”---all after dealing with the challenges she faced in her own life growing up and her current chapter as a wife, mother and advocate for others.

How was she able to move past her own hurt and pain and look for ways to help others? The answer comes from close at home. "My son having Down Syndrome," she told me during our conversation at Dream Cafe. "He was diagnosed after birth. Seeing that a lot of people with special needs were treated inhumane and the negativity and the way that people perceive people who are different nerved me. I guess because of my background and my struggles and having to deal with so much negativity in my life growing up, I became kind of a nurturer, wanting to protect not just my son but other kids with special needs.

"Back then Yahoo Groups were real popular. When [my son] got ready to transition into public school I started researching and came across these amazing stories of people with Down Syndrome and individuals with different special needs. I wondered why hadn't I heard these stories.  I felt like that was my call to put their stories in the forefront."

Yvonne has done that through her advocacy work, building a strong online community of support and through the formation of The RISE Awards, highlighting individuals with special needs. Her son was the spark, and now she has been able to encourage and inspire people around the country to not let others decide for you what you can do. She encourages everyone to see the gift that they are and that others are and let their individual lights shine.

Stay connected with Yvonne's work at www.ypierre.com.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great write up! I greatly appreciate it. I'm forever grateful for all you do to make a difference and for providing a platform to encourage and uplift others. Continued blessings to you, Cyrus!

    ReplyDelete