Sunday, April 14, 2013

John-Westley Dean: Living A Purpose-Driven Life

by Cyrus Webb

Many have gotten to know John-Westley Dean from his roles in movies like ATL, Madea Family Reunion and Stomp The Yard as well as tv shows like House of Payne and Single Ladies, but he is more than just another celebrity you see in a role. He is using the opportunities he has been given to fulfill  what he sees as a calling on his life.

Whether he is acting, modeling or sharing his love of fitness and health, Dean has found the key to having a purpose-driven life, and he is allowing it to lead him in everything he does.

"As I've gotten older I have learned to trust my own abilities," he told me in our interview. This trust has aided him in making the right decisions not just for the short-term but the future as well.

Growing up in the inner city, Dean says that school was a real balancing out. "My parents pushed me to be more into school and books, but I was still athletic." He says that because of his focus on his education he was "outside the cool kids", but because of his skills in sports was not considered a nerd. When the time came to make a decision what he wanted to pursue, it was his faith that became more of a guiding force.

"For a long time I was always walking that line," Dean explained. "I had people pulling me on both sides. What finally made up my mind was starting to see a trend of the guys who came before me. Some of them are doing the same things that they did years ago. That might be okay for them, but I didn't see those kind of limitations for myself. I always knew there was something in me that was destined to be better and more than what may have been expected."

What was next for him? Not modeling or acting but the Military. It was there that he learned a valuable lesson that would aide him when he would eventually enter the jungle that is the Entertainment Industry. "The Military teaches you how to hurry up and wait," Dean explained. That lesson also helped him to realize the truth about himself when it came to success and the importance of caring for the whole person. "In order to be successful in this business or any business you have to take care of the body," he says. "That means eating right but also having a healthy mental and spiritual life." Dean's belief in something larger than himself allowed him to understand the Law of Attraction. "Everything does come full circle eventually," he told me. "Your turn will come. You are going to get your time to shine. Just be prepared when that time comes."

 At the age of 28 John-Westley Dean entered the world of modeling and acting and has not looked back. "My first audition I landed the lead role in a pilot that was being filmed,"he says. "It wasn't picked up, but it definitely encouraged me to perfecting the craft. Just this year he even landed a role in Hunger Games 2, and he continues to star in stage plays and on hit tv shows. "Confidence for me has come over time. Taking acting classes and being around those who share the same goals has been important, but putting God first has helped me a lot."  He then added something that I think everyone can learn from: "I had to step out on faith and know this is my calling. I know this is what I'm supposed to do. Modeling and acting are my God-given talents. For me to not utilize them would be a sin in itself."

In a world where others attempt to define you, John-Westley has made the life-changing decision to be the best of himself in everything that he does. "Everyone has a notion as to who you should be and how you should be," he says. "I'm learning to have people accept me for me." At the end of the day he also believes that no matter how people feel about him, they will have no choice but respect him.

Fortunately he is not in this alone. His wife and business partner has been an amazing asset when it comes to keeping his ego in check. "She definitely keeps me grounded," he told me. "She is also one of my biggest fans and supporters. I am lucky and blessed to have her in my life."

Aside from the work he does in front of the camera, Dean is still helping individuals become their best selves as a personal trainer to those who are looking to change who they are from the inside. His message to them begins with this: "Anything worth having in this life is not easy. Set realistic goals for yourself. People have a notion to set outrageous goals for themselves. No matter what your profession you should want to be the best you can be. Even if I wasn't doing what I'm doing (in the entertainment industry), I would still want to take care of myself."

Adding on to his growing brand, Dean is currently working on his line of athletic comfortable wear for men and preparing for upcoming projects.

Being true to his name and the Biblical nature of it, John-Westley feels as though he is the one who is paving the way for you to reach your ultimate goals when it comes to health, fitness and success. "This is my passion. It's what I love to do. I'm preparing you for something that is coming of a greater value for yourself."

His words of encouragement for you? "Whatever your dream is, think about it..write it down. Recognize what brings you joy. You'll find your passion in that thing. Find out your passion and what motivates and moves you and make that your career."

To stay in contact with John-Westley Dean and his current projects visit him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jdeanonline and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/johnwestleyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment