Monday, August 13, 2012

MODEL CITIZEN: Rejina Bai Oldham


* Model Citizen: Rejina Bai Oldham

* Hometown: born and raised in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

* Current city/state: Springfield, Missouri

* How do you stay inspired when it comes to following your dreams in life?
While many of us can always claim to have family bless our lives, the beautiful furry creatures we have as pets who give us unconditional love are great inspiration. I also would like to remember those who actually beat the odds of their opportunities and rise up to realize their dreams. People that do inspire me are those who have caused change and freedom to become norms in our current world - among some that come to mind are Golda Meir, Susan B. Anthony, Rosa Parks - and so many others who began with little or no opportunities. I am also inspired by Princess Diana, Queen Rania of Jordan and who could forget our own President Obama who prevailed in this new era?

* What advice do you have for others who are looking to following their dreams?
My dreams in life are basically to stay happy and I found that since I was young, I was always looking for something better even after I had basically got most of what I wanted. Recently I have come to a realization that I need to look around and see the blessings around me and try to spread it to others. We are so often caught up in everyone's complaints about the little inconveniences in life and ignore the suffering of others who have much more to complain about. When you keep complaining, one day it's all going to come true which will either bring you to your senses, or the only way to go is downhill. I just hope we can all put ourselves in each other's shoes and empathize, in a proactive and productive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment